MADRID — The dedication of Schoolhouse number 12 will be Held on August 30 at 1 p.m. The schoolhouse is nearly ready for students, young and old. Through the efforts of Assemblywoman Addie Russell, this one-room school was donated by Indian River Central School to the St. Lawrence Power and Equipment Museum in Madrid in 2010, and moved to Madrid in 2011.
The school once stood on US Highway 11, in the Town of LeRay, Jefferson County. Built in 1854, children filled the classroom until 1914, when it closed. The schoolhouse then became a meeting house for various groups until about 1940 when it closed for good.
This proud structure now stands on the green at the St. Lawrence Power and Equipment Museum in Madrid, and is being readied for its official dedication on August 30 during the annual Harvest Exhibition at 1 p.m. Addie Russell will be in attendance, as will other local dignitaries, such as the Madrid Town Supervisor, members of the Town Council, and representatives from the local school district. Several area children will be dressed for the occasion, wearing bonnets, pinafores, knickers, and vests. Refreshments will be served.
It is hoped that former attendees of one-room schools, in our area or from far and wide, will attend this dedication to share their thoughts and stories. This reunion of sorts will continue at a later date when attendees’ tales can be recorded in a quieter atmosphere.