NICHOLVILLE - Fire departments from St. Lawrence and Franklin counties responded to a blaze that destroyed a barn in Nicholville Thursday.
Nicholville Volunteer Fire Department responded at about 7 p.m. to the 371 McEwen Road residence of Thomas and Renee Burnell, to find the barn was fully engulfed in flames.
The fire started in the vicinity of a wood boiler in the barn, which was occupied by several farm animals, including a cow and some pigs, according to St. Lawrence County fire investigators Brian Sullivan and Christopher R. Adams.
We are not positive it that is what started the fire at this point, Mr. Sullivan said. At this point we re going to investigate the area around the boiler.
There were no human injuries reported; however, investigators said several livestock might have died in the fire. The barn was considered a total loss by investigators.
The fire was brought under control by 8:30 p.m. and volunteer fire departments from Lawrenceville, North Lawrence, Hopkinton-Fort Jackson, Brasher-Winthrop, Parishville, St. Regis Falls, Moira and Dickinson assisted in the battle. Tri-Town Volunteer Rescue Squad was also on the scene.
Mr. Adams said investigators were still looking into the damage, the possible loss of animal life and whether the barn was insured.
Fire fighters were continuing to do overhaul at 9 p.m. and were expected to be on the scene for several hours looking for hotspots.