Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Sat., Dec. 20
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
14°F
Related Stories

Massena couple that initially faced felony rape and burglary charges granted adjournments in contemplation of dismissal

PREV
NEXT
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

MASSENA - A Massena couple initially charged with breaking into a female acquaintance’s home in October 2012 and forcing her to engage in several sexual acts have been granted adjournments in contemplation of dismissal.

Village police had charged Nathaniel W. Dodson, 32, and his wife, Bobbi Jo S. Dodson, 31, both of 1065 County Route 38, Norfolk, with first-degree burglary and first-degree criminal sexual act. Mr. Dodson was also charged with first-degree rape. They reportedly forced the woman to have sexual contact with Mr. and Ms. Dodson. Mr. Dodson was additionally charged with false impersonation after he initially identified himself to police as Todd Singleton.

The incident reportedly occurred between 4 and 4:30 a.m. Oct. 4, 2012 on Water Street. Police said the Water Street woman suffered injuries as a result of the attack. Police said at the time of the arrests that he perpetrators knew the victim, and the victim knew the perpetrators.

Prosecutors filed a motion with the Massena Village Court to have the felony assault and sexual assault charges reduced to misdemeanor counts of second-degree criminal trespass and third-degree assault.

A plea bargain agreement calling for the adjournments in contemplation of dismissal had been reached during negotiations with the previous district attorney’s administration. The sentences were handed down by Massena Village Justice Eric J. Gustafson last week in Massena Village Court.

Further investigation of the case reportedly revealed questions regarding the credibility of the alleged victim’s version of the events that occurred in the early morning hours of Oct. 4, 2012.

St. Lawrence County Assistant District Attorney Michael Gebo, in a prepared statement issued by the District Attorney’s Office, said the plea bargain agreement had been reached late last year with the prosecutor’s office then led by former District Attorney Nicole M. Duve.

“Initially a rape charge, the prior administration returned it to local court as a misdemeanor assault and criminal trespass. They agreed the cases were then to be adjourned in contemplation of dismissal. This was not finished before they left office. Inconsistencies and evidentiary issues convinced the prior office not to prosecute. A review of the file and subsequent investigation by the police confirmed this,” according to the release from the St. Lawrence County District Attorney’s Office.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Giveaway
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers