Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Sat., Oct. 25
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
42°F
Related Stories

Teen on the mend after fatal Malone house fire

PREV
NEXT
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

MALONE — The teen injured in a house fire that killed his mother last week was released from the hospital Thursday.

Jared Smith, 19, suffered severe burns to his hands, face, throat and lungs when his home at 20 South St. caught fire Jan. 28. He had been on life support at Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington, Vt.

His mother, Pamela Taylor, 45, died in her second-floor bedroom of smoke inhalation. Her boyfriend, Vernon Rivers, 39, escaped but had to be treated for smoke inhalation and burns on his hands and legs.

The family recently discovered that Mr. Smith had health insurance, but that it expired Jan. 31. However, “from what we’re being told at the moment, everything will hopefully be cleared,” said Mr. Smith’s father, Kevin.

The Smiths are collecting clothing for Jared and his twin brother, Jordan, who lost everything in the fire. They also set up a website to collect donations toward funeral costs and medical bills at Giveforward.com.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Giveaway
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers