Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Sat., Aug. 23
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
63°F
Related Stories

LaFargeville home catches fire after attempt to fix frozen pipe

ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

LAFARGEVILLE — A couple’s attempt to fix a frozen pipe may have cost them their home Saturday morning.

A double-wide trailer home at 32480 Wilder Road in the town of Orleans caught fire just after 9 a.m. when the homeowners tried to thaw out a pipe. The fire is believed to have spread to the installation and then the ceiling.

“People got to be very careful with this type of weather with heat tape and thawing pipes. You just got to be very careful,” said David P. Gosier, Jefferson County deputy fire coordinator.

According to the latest county records, the home was purchased by Matthew L. and Brooke E. Hartle in 2005. No injuries were reported, but the home is expected to be a total loss.

“We had problems early on getting water to the scene because of the remote area,” said Mr. Gosier. “The second thing is that the owner has a reload station on the side of structure, which we have to keep an eye on because of black powder.”

As of 11 a.m., all of Wilder Road was closed off and Mr. Gosier speculated fire crews and investigators would be on the scene for several hours.

Responding were fire departments from LaFargeville, Clayton, Depauville, Brownville, Dexter, Chaumont, Three-Mile Bay, Fishers Landing, Redwood and Plessis. Thousand Island Rescue Squad also responded.

Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers