NORFOLK - Seven people were left homeless early Sunday after a fire that investigators say was sparked by an electric heater destroyed a home at 26 South Main St.
Norfolk Fire said they responded to a residence owned by Seth Hamm and Josie Paige at 5:16 a.m. Fire investigators said the residence had seven occupants. Two dogs and two cats died in the fire.
Mutual aid was provided by firefighters from Norwood, Louisville, Madrid, Massena, Potsdam, West Stockholm and West Potsdam. Departments from Louisville, Waddington and Potsdam were on standby. Norfolk Rescue also responded to the fire scene.
Fire investigators said there were smoke alarms, but they did not activate. The house, which was insured, was declared a total loss.
The Red Cross is assisting the family members that lost their home.