The home rule legislation that would allow St. Lawrence County to raise its sales tax is on the desk of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo for his signature.
The county has long wanted to raise its sales tax from 3 to 4 percent, which would bring the total with the states 4 percent to 8 percent. Enabling legislation passed the Assembly June 14. The Senate went along June 22 as it wrapped up its session.
The bill had not yet been forwarded to the governors office, but Assemblywoman Addie J. Russell, D-Theresa, asked the Assembly leadership to expedite it so the county could start collecting in December.
We wanted to ensure that theyre aware this community needs the revenue, she said.
Once the bill is signed, the county would need about three months for reporting purposes before it could start collecting the extra sales tax.
Having the additional sales tax revenue begin in December at the height of the Christmas shopping season would mean the county could collect about $1 million more than it budgeted for the year.