THERESA Firefighters wearing heavy gear suffered minor heat-related injuries putting out a fire on Eddy Road in the muggy, hot weather Friday morning.
It took firefighters from several departments about an hour to extinguish the flames at an old trailer home, said Theresa Fire Chief Mark S. Savage.
The 34500 Eddy Road property is owned by Jeffrey E. and Clarette B. Hamilton and the fire is believed to have started around 9:40 a.m.
Chief Savage said the Hamiltons were unhurt, but a few of their pets died in the blaze. The property was considered a total loss.
Fire investigators suspect that the fire started from a faulty power source. Mr. Savage noted that the response Friday was hindered by a power line that had fallen across the road.
He said the firefighters who suffered heat-related injuries were treated at the scene.
Another firefighter was taken to Samaritan Medical Center, Watertown, for treatment of back pain.
Along with Theresa firefighters, several area fire departments responded to the scene Philadelphia, LaFargeville, Evans Mills, Pamelia, Oxbow, Calcium, Indian River and Redwood and Great Bend Fire Department was on standby for Theresa.