CARTHAGE A vacant lot along the railroad line parallel to Alexandria Street could someday hold housing for families in need.
The Thousand Islands Area Habitat for Humanity approached the Carthage Industrial Development Corp., which owns the former Braman Manufacturing Co. property, to determine whether there is interest in developing all or part of the parcel.
During its May 15 meeting, the CIDC board decided to proceed with housing development on the property of approximately 4 acres with two sites in a first phase.
The CIDC will need to determine feasible locations and address zoning and subdivision regulations in cooperation with village of Carthage, said John F. McHugh, village community development coordinator and CIDC board member. The village is currently reviewing infrastructure locations on the site.
He also noted parts of the property are adjacent to residences and may be appropriate for infill housing development.
Braman Manufacturing Co., founded in 1857, was originally the M.P. Mason Co., named after founder and Amsterdam native Marcus P. Mason. Orman H. Braman took the reins in 1907 and operated the renamed plant until his death Aug. 18, 1939, according to Carthage Republican Tribune archives. His nephew, Orman C. Stalker, became the company president. Mr. Stalkers son-in-law, Robert C. Place, joined the company in 1946 after his service in the Army Air Corps. At the time, according to Mr. Places obituary, the plant was one of the largest producers of hardwood brush blocks and handles, which were sold to companies to make industrial and household brooms and paintbrushes.
Mr. Place, along with his wife, Jeanne S., took over the company in 1970 and ran it until they sold in 1972. Following the sale to All American Brush Co. Inc., Newark, N.J., Mr. Place managed the business until his retirement in 1986.
The business later was sold to John Gibson, Jack Getman and Gary Getman, who declared bankruptcy in 1990.
Taxes were last paid on two of the parcels in 1988, and on the third in 1989, according to Times archives.
Following the abandonment of the property, there were a couple of fires caused by arson. In 2007, the village of Carthage had the plant razed and the cellar filled with soil.
In 2010, the CIDC assumed ownership of the property at 835, 836 and 837 Alexandria St.