Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Sun., Dec. 28
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
41°F
Related Stories

Faulty chimney cited in Brier Hill fire

PREV
NEXT
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

BRIER HILL — A faulty chimney has been cited in a fire that damaged a Brier Hill home early Wednesday, firefighters said.

The lone occupant at 802 Sand St. Road escaped the 1:29 a.m. fire after being alerted by smoke detectors, Brier Hill Fire Chief Shawn R. Macaulay said.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the back room of the house, Mr. Macaulay said.

He said the fire is believed to have started with a faulty chimney for a wood-burning stove in the basement.

Tax records show the property is owned by Michael Stout and Erin Bickelhaupt. The house is insured, Mr. Macaulay said.

Brier Hill firefighters were aided by crews from Morristown and Hammond, with about 60 people on scene.

“I would like to thank all departments for a great save,” Mr. Macaulay said.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Giveaway
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers