HERMON A home was heavily damaged early Sunday in a fire caused by an overheated pipe on a wood-burning stove.
Clarence and Kelly Cleveland, 142 Marshville Road, were alerted to the fire by smoke detectors just after 12:30 a.m. and fled their home unharmed. The couples three children were away from home at the time of the fire.
The Hermon Fire Department arrived at 12:49 a.m. and extinguished the blaze, but not before the home sustained heavy damage.
Also responding were the Russell, DeKalb Junction, Edwards, Richville, Pyrites and Gouverneur fire departments.
There is insurance on the structure.