Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown Daily Times
The Journal
Daily Courier-Observer
NNY Business
NNY Living
Malone Telegram
Sat., Jul. 12
Serving the community of Ogdensburg, New York
Related Stories

Five homeless after fire at Mannsville

print this article
e-mail this article

MANNSVILLE — A family of five is homeless, with a dog, “a few” cats and a pet bird dead, following an early-morning fire Monday that destroyed a single-wide trailer and an addition at 803 Brown Road.

Robert Martin Jr., his wife, Renee, and three children, ages 3, 4 and 8, escaped after being awakened shortly before 12:45 a.m. by the smell of smoke, said Joseph D. Plummer, Jefferson County director of fire and emergency management, who was the first responder at the scene.

The blaze originated in the addition, which was engulfed when he arrived, Mr. Plummer said. Flames were working into the trailer at that time, he said.

An electrical cause is suspected, Mr. Plummer said. There were no smoke alarms in the structure, he said.

The family, uninsured, lost all belongings.

Mr. Martin is believed to have been buying the property under a land contract with the owner, listed in county property records as Stephen J. Watson, Syracuse.

Mannsville firefighters were assisted by departments from Ellisburg, Adams and Sandy Creek.

Connect with Us
OGD on FacebookOGD on Twitter
Thursday 's Covers
Sports cover
Our Community cover